Monday, November 14, 2011
Easy Chili Recipe
This chili recipe is so easy, even a caveman could do it! Ha!
But seriously, I make this chili once a week and the whole family digs it. Even my husband, when asked what he wanted for his 40th birthday dinner, requested this bad boy. You can find all the ingredients at your local Trader Joe's. Plus you will have tons of leftovers so you won't even have to think about lunch. You could even add some eggs any style to it and have it for breakfast! Whoo hoo!
-2 lbs. grass-fed ground beef or ground turkey
-2 tbsp. coconut oil (or butter or other oil of your choice to brown meat in)
-1 bag frozen bell peppers n onions (TJ's makes a fire roasted variety; not organic, but easy peasy)
-Two 15 oz. cans organic tomato sauce (yes I know cans aren't that great for ya, but we are using canned in the interest of saving time and hassle!)
-Two cans water (use cans from tomato sauce)
-One 12 oz. can organic tomato paste
-2 tbsp. chili powder
-diced avocado to taste
1. Add coconut oil to skillet and melt over medium heat.
2. Brown ground meat in coconut oil.
3. Poor off drippings (or not)
4. Add all ingredients sans avocado to a large pot. Add browned meat and stir all together. Cook over medium high until boiling, then set to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Alternatively, you could place all ingredients in a crockpot on low for a few hours to let the flavors really meld and have dinner warm and ready when you come home!
5. Add diced avocado on top or if you go the dairy route, add sour cream and/or cheese)