Saturday, January 30, 2010

Cloth napkins

While we're on the subject of reducing waste, let's talk about ditching your paper towels and paper napkins, if you haven't already done so, that is.  They are totally unnecessary.  Plus every meal feels like a special occasion when you're using a lovely cloth napkin!  Then you just throw it in the wash with the rest of the towels.  I would recommend buying a darker color napkin to hide food stains.  I bought some cheap cloth napkins at Target (I'm sure you can find them even cheaper elsewhere) for meal times, and we use any old towel to soak up a mess in place of a paper towel.  I'm not sure why we still buy paper towels, though.  In any case, we haven't had to buy any in a long time!  I think the hubby just has some issues with change, even if it is for the better.  Having paper towels on the counter somehow makes him feel more secure.  Or something like that.

One time we were enjoying a picnic lunch at the park and another mom saw me wiping Noah's face with a cloth napkin.  She said, "Oh here!  I brought some napkins.  You don't have to use that towel thing."  I didn't say anything and just took her napkin...I'm still working on navigating these issues in social situations:)

2 comments:

  1. Lol! about the mom in the park ;-) I have also been using cloth napkins and towels for as long as I can remember, helps that I grew up doing the same! But I've definitely had to explain myself to MANY people about why I don't have paper towels in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lili you're so lucky you grew up this way and everything is second nature to you. Like you've never really had to question these things because it was normal for you. I'm so glad I met people like you to open my eyes!

    ReplyDelete