Thursday, June 3, 2010

Primal Meatloaf Recipe

Well hello to those of you still following my blog:)  I've been MIA since becoming pregnant and feeling yucky, but I'm getting back in the swing of things now that I'm feeling better and have more energy...exercising regularly, focusing on eating primally (except for that cupcake last week, oh and that donut today lol), and trying to do more for my boys who both speak the "acts of service" love language :) 

That said, tonight I made my old favorite for dinner...primal meatloaf with farmer's market-fresh steamed asparagus and summer squash.  Yum!  I'm so excited to be craving some of my old primal stand-by's. 

For those of you scared of red meat, please read this article.  It's the conventional variety that gives red meat a bad rap...the corn fed, antibiotic-hormone-chemical-laden, crowded, inhumanely treated variety, that is.  Grass-fed, organic, free range cows that have been humanely treated from start to finish and allowed to eat and live the way they were meant to offer tremendous health benefits.  I hear so often that pregnant women (and non-pregnant women) are anemic and deficient in essential omega fatty acids.  I am easily prone to becoming anemic myself, and  I think the fact that I eat plenty of grass-fed, organic red meat has kept me from becoming anemic.  Plus, if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, the extra omega 3's from grass-fed beef are tremendously healthy for your child.

Anywho, here is that yummy primal meatloaf recipe, slightly modifed, courtesy once again of Son of Grok:

Ingredients:

Sauce:

-1/2 can tomato paste
-1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
-1/4 of a green bell pepper finely diced

Loaf:

-1 lb organic, grass-fed ground beef (or ground buffalo)
-1/2 of a green bell pepper finely diced
-1/2 of a red bell pepper finely diced
-1/2 onion of your choice finely diced
-1 egg
-1/2 can of tomato paste
-4 slices of cooked bacon chopped (optional but it tastes better with the bacon!)
-1 tsp garlic salt
-1 tsp black pepper
-1 tsp salt
-(optional) swiss cheese broken into small chunks (not really primal with the cheese included)

Instructions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Sauce:  Add water to tomato paste until you get a nice consistency and mix all sauce ingredients together.

Loaf:

1.  Mix all ingredients together in a big mixing bowl (with hands for best results, exciting)
2.  Form into round loaves on a nonstick pan.
3.  Paint some of your sauce on top of your loaves.
4.  Put in the oven and bake for 45-60 min.
5.  After cooked, paint some more sauce on top of your loaves and serve.

*This recipe made about four medium sized patties.

No comments:

Post a Comment