Thursday, June 2, 2011

Apple Pie A La Mode Green Smoothie Recipe

I LOVE my vitamix.  I've had it for about three years now and not a day goes by that I don't use it.  Sometimes I even use it twice a day.  It is one of those kitchen appliances I could never see living without.  Well worth the money.

I use to make green smoothies a lot for Noah when he was little, and since the wee one (almost seven months old!) has started solids, I've been making them more again.  Bijon loves his green smoothies as much as his brother and I do.  It's a quick, easy way for adults and kids to get in some greens that are so neglected from our modern day diet. 

I made this smoothie today for myself right before I made Bijon's (Bijon's smoothies only contain water, greens, and  a banana or mango chunks so far).  Noah came in and asked if he could try it.  This was his response:  "Wow, yum!  I want one!  It tastes like oatmeal."  So  I made him a big glass of his own and when he finished it he asked for another one.  Two thumbs up!

I adapted this recipe from AndreAnna over at Life As A Plate (This woman is amazing.  I want to marry her just so she can cook for me every night!) The only changes I made were:  I used stevia instead of honey, left out the chia seeds, and added coconut oil.

Ingredients:

-1 1/2 cups full fat coconut milk
-1 cup spinach
-1 apple, cored
-1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1 tsp vanilla extract
-15 drops vanilla cream liquid stevia (or 1 tbsp honey)
-1 tsp coconut oil
-1-2 cups ice

Directions:

-Add all ingredients to your blender, blend up until smooth and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. How is it to clean? I'd love to get one. For now i use the Magic Bullet for green smoothies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clean up's a breeze! It was one of the selling points of the Costco demonstration :) After using, simply rinse the container, add a drop of detergent, fill it with water, blend on high for thirty seconds, rinse, and you're good to go!

    ReplyDelete